We moved!! Our new website is now called PoetsGig.com

Featured Poems

FEATURED POEMS


What's New!

Sunday, October 30, 2016

While Drafting A Book: Poetic Prompts & Pitches

By: Ymatruz | Filed under: |

I found this writing contest online "Glamour Magazine "My Real-Life Story" Essay Contest and I decided to try.

My current draft has more than 2,000 words and still working on page 5 to meet the 2,500+ words minimum requirement. Submission ends November 1. At the same time, during my writing break I am reading this book Star Wars: Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston with more than 300 pages and I am enjoying it. Ah, published writers are admirable. I ain't sure if I could even write a novel that long.

Meanwhile, I will focus on my poetry book, one which I am currently working on. As I am drafting poems, here are some poetic prompts that came to me:


We are playing the doll
dressed like a mediocre queen
without the head – because
the head and the crown
are too big to fit
the dollhouse window.

~~***~~

She served us an iced tea
drawn from the river.
I knew – because
I was with her.

~~***~~

I lost my count of the grains of sand
when the seawater rushed to the
seashore, washing away the
doll castle I built inside
my imagination.

~~***~~

Cold water plunges into...
her tomato garden – breaking
the fruit skin and baring its
stomach – full of seeds and secrets.

~~***~~

You asked me
to buy a ship –
when all I can
afford is to rent
a dinghy.

~~***~~

So, I threw the oil because
you asked me to wash
my face with it.

~~***~~

Two roads taken
One ended in a dead point.
The other one led to heaven.


When you are writing a book, excitement kills the surprises but here I am revealing my mockup cover.


WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT THIS BOOK TITLE?


Ymatruz poetry book cover mockup.

UPDATED:

10-31-16 - I finished the essay on time but I changed my mind regarding submission due to Ownership & License concerns. I will just wait till the next publishing opportunity.


Advertisement

SHARE THIS POST:

No comments:

Post a Comment

PROMPT+QUOTES

HAIKU MOMENT

POPULAR THIS MONTH